Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Why we stop.



Dan over at Emergency Care posed an excellent question at the end of his latest post. “Why do you help? Why do you run in when others won’t?”

This question stemmed from the incident in Connecticut. A man got struck in a hit and run and no one came to his aid.

What makes us different? Why do we choose to help instead of staring like New Yorkers (no offense to any native New Yorkers). The most obvious answer would be that it’s our job. When we’re trained to respond in an emergency, it is our duty to act. We know what to do and its become second nature. I personally have a desire to help people. Perhaps it is just because I’m fresh to the field. Everything is new and exciting, I haven’t become jaded. I also believe most emergency responders are adrenaline junkies. It’s almost a job requirement. We do it for the rush.

The uncertainty of what will be awaiting at a scene also intrigues me. I mean sure, some calls will become repetitive, but the thought of having to sit at a desk doing a “normal” job makes me cringe. I haven’t had the opportunity yet to save a life, but I imagine the feeling is amazing. Thats what will make this job extraordinary, the ability to make a difference.

Now for these people that did nothing - I would like to think that they were frozen in fear. Since they aren’t trained to respond they obviously don’t know what to do. Unfortunately, I think they all stood there gawking and not necessarily from fear. People walked right past without giving him a second thought. Maybe its just me, but I couldn’t just walk past someone that got hit by a car and not attempt to help with or without training. I’d at least call 911. Granted 4 people did call, and were probably some of the ones standing there, but what are the rest of their excuses.

I know this story is a couple weeks old, this was meant to be posted earlier, but I was out of town.

Image Credit

4 comments:

Cheating Death said...

Love your posts. I'll get you blogrolled in the next few days after I drink myself through Registry.

I myself have actually done a few real desk jobs. Political Campaigns, Supervisory rolls, blah blah. And I find myself here. Torturing myself to get to a level to help others.

It takes a special breed to work in EMS. It takes an even more special family to back someone in EMS.

Paradise EMS said...

Thanks for stopping by, and the add when you get around to it :).

Have fun with the registry, I'm not looking forward to that either.

It does indeed take a special family, mine all seem convinced I'm going to be in mortal peril all day long. They don't realize I'll be an expensive taxi for the first few months.

Anonymous said...

Because sometimes helping is against the rules.

I hate to say it but I have so many rules and sanctions from both my work and the government I have to be very wary.

case in point, I got in trouble for helping track down a criminal by my work.

Paradise EMS said...

I understand the point that you're coming from. Its sad that this is the state of the world we live in.